As you may or may not know, Evergreen's perfect safety record was one of the main reasons we objected to the sidewalk.
Other reasons we objected to the Safe Routes project:
- lack of process - sidewalk plan was in play for several years before neighbors who would be most impacted found out about it
- design not in accordance with Tam Plan. Urban concrete sidewalk conflicts with our neighborhood's character / semi-rural environment
- no environmental review, no consideration for water flow impact upon downstream neighbors, endangered species of fish (steelhead)
- people and entities outside of Homestead lobbied for the sidewalk
- funding to build the sidewalk was awarded to a grant application that contained misrepresentation of community support and an exaggeration of danger to pedestrians (isn't that fraud?)
In short, we ended up with the slab because the project had progressed for several years before most of us found out about it. So, as far as our
Unfortunately, the year extension did not yield any significant change in design, as concerned residents (who were willing to compromise not well versed in the devious ways of local/not so local politics ) were led to believe.
Instead, the extra time was used to gather political support for the project.
This blog, other neighborhood blogs linked in the sidebar and sharing information in Nextdoor are all attempts to improve communication in our community.
"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open." Gunter Grass