As you may or may not know, Evergreen's perfect safety record was one of the main reasons we objected to the sidewalk.
Other reasons we objected to the Safe Routes project:
- lack of process - sidewalk plan was in play for several years before neighbors who would be most impacted found out about it
- design not in accordance with Tam Plan. Urban concrete sidewalk conflicts with our neighborhood's character / semi-rural environment
- no environmental review, no consideration for water flow impact upon downstream neighbors
- people and entities outside of Homestead lobbied for the sidewalk
- funding to build the sidewalk was awarded to a grant application that contained misrepresentation of community support and an exaggeration of danger to pedestrians
In short, we ended up with the slab because the HVCA Board controlled communication in Homestead - and the project had progressed for several years before most of us found out about it.
So, as far as our current District 4 County Supervisor was concerned, project had progressed too far to turn back. Plus, there was funding for concrete sidewalks, and not enough funding for County road maintenance.
Unfortunately, the year extension did not yield any significant change in design, as concerned residents (who were willing to compromise) were led to believe.
Instead, the extra time was used to gather political support for the project.
This blog, other neighborhood blogs linked in the sidebar and sharing information in Nextdoor are all attempts to improve communication in our community.
"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open." Gunter Grass